Monday, October 30, 2006

keeping up the theme of cute babies....


This is my darling six-month old nephew, Noah, doing his I'm-so-charming ladykiller smile for the camera. When my older sister found out that she was going to have a boy, both she and I kind of freaked out; it's always been just the two of us girls, and we are extreme girly-girls: shoe-addicted, Sephora-loving, sports-fearing, swirly-skirt-wearing, Jane-Austen-reading girls. I mean, just look at the books I write. The realization that Noah probably wouldn't devour A NOVEL IDEA was disheartening. I couldn't take a nephew on shopping trips to Bloomie's, or plan mani-pedi days, could I? I was distraught.

But having a boy in my life has been pure joy. And it's been inspiring. I actually think I might want to try my hand at -- gasp! -- writing a boy book. I've always been fascinated by authors who can deftly switch genders, and do so convincingly. I think it's an enormous challenge, but it might be something fresh and fun for me to try. Perhaps A NOVEL IDEA told from James's point of view? Or something younger, along the lines of a Sherlock Holmes-type mystery? Boys are pickier readers, more difficult readers, and that's why I think it's all the more rewarding when you win them over.

The new project I'm working on now is about two sisters, so it's my chance to indulge in all my girly whims. Maybe after that, I'll want a dose of baseball games and skinned knees. Then again, who says all those gender roles our society has constructed for us are accurated? There are plenty of girls who live and breathe baseball. And maybe I'll convince my nephew to like shopping after all. There's plenty of time to find out.

3 comments:

Jennifer Echols said...

Another adorable cutie!!!

I loved A NOVEL IDEA. Telling it from James's point of view would be hilarious!

I've pretty much given up on writing a book my 5-year-old son would like when he's a teenager. It would have to be about trucks, and trains, and Legos, and explosions.

Aimee Friedman said...

Ha! You're so right. I feel better that I'm not the only one who finds it next to impossible to write for boys...

And thank you for the kind words about A NOVEL IDEA. I cannot WAIT to devour MAJOR CRUSH...

Erin Downing said...

He is charming!