Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lettuce: A Love Story

I had some great boyfriends in high school. I tended to like artistic types who would slip drawings into my locker of Comrade Hitson the Russian teacher, penguins wearing hats, etc.

But the sweetest thing a boyfriend ever did for me was this. When we were seniors, I’d been dating Joey for a few weeks. I was drum major of the marching band, but he had to miss our halftime show one Friday night because he was working at the grocery store across the street from the stadium, restocking the produce department.

He was friends with the guy who dressed up as the school mascot, a wildcat. During third quarter I was surprised to see the wildcat sauntering up through the band bleachers. He handed me a love note from Joey, scribbled in Sharpie on a lettuce leaf.

I fell in love.

Sadly, Joey and I broke up a few weeks after that. It took us thirteen years to get married.

What’s the sweetest thing your boo ever did for you?

2 comments:

Erin Downing said...

Awwwwwwww, shucks.
-E.

Micol Ostow said...

I love that story! So cute.
N does lots of sappy stuff. He took me to Paris for my 30th last year. But the part that made me sniffly was when we got back, and he gave me a scrapbook (a few weeks later) filled with all of the memories of our trip.