Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September morn

 As I write this, I know it's morning because I hear the hungry metallic sound of garbage trucks munching their way through the trash on my block and the blare of angry drivers honking their horns as they beg the trucks to move a little faster.  I can see the sun struggling to make its way up from the East River and over to the west side of town where I live.  I can smell the coffee as it begins to perk all on its own (amazing, modern technology!) And no matter how hard I try, I can't block out the sounds of the kids moaning about the location of their notebooks, folders, sneakers, and Ipods.  Somehow the fact that those things are missing is all my fault.
Ahhh just another New York morning.  We are back in the routine!
The beginning of school always has a sense of excitement and anticipation about it.  Even those of us who haven't been in school for a long, long, long time seem to call September the beginning of the year.  I don't know if it's the back to school ads, or the emergence of the fall fashions in the store windows, or just some internal calendar we all develop after 16 or so years of starting fresh in the ninth month of the year,  but there is always something exciting about September.
At least for the first week or so after Labor Day.
And then I get to the point where I am now.  The point where I realize that summer is officially over.  There is no vacation in the foreseeable future.  And the morning I am currently experiencing will be replayed over and over until the four-day Thanksgiving break.
This is the time of year that I really have to push through, and keep the positive energy up, despite the crisper temperatures in the morning, and the changing of the leaves.  After all, as any writer knows, deadlines come in all seasons.  And when you are currently writing three book series (and planning a fourth--am I crazy or what?) there is always a deadline.
But Fall also brings new opportunities for school visits, and signings, and readings.  I love those opportunities, because I get to see my readers in person.  I get to talk to them, hear the rhythm of their language, and remember just how little some of them are.  (In addition to the rocoms, I am currently writing books for kids in grades k-5, so some of them are really little.)  I get to hear about their day-to-day lives, and inevitably I get inspiration (for both plots and life!) from them.
I love the questions kids ask.  They're so open and curious.   Did you always want to be an author?  Where do you get your ideas from? Are you famous? How much do you make?  (No. From my kids, my childhood and kids like you.  To some people.  Not as much as I'm worth.)  And most of all they make me laugh.  This time of year, I can always use a good laugh!
I am happy to tell you that next week I will be able to come face to face with my readers  in a hugely exciting setting.  This year, once again, I am honored to have been asked by Target and the New York Times to participate in the Great Read in the Park.  It's taking place on October 5  at Columbia University and I'll be there at 10:55 reading from the newest Katie Kazoo Switcheroo book, and running a fun audience participation program.  Right afterwards I'll be signing.  So if you're going to be in the area, or you want to come into the city to be part of a really fun day, please stop by. The Great Read is a terrific event! 
Think of it as a break in the routine.
Anyway, I've gotta go.  Apparently, Ian needs me to print out one more copy of his English paper and he's already running late for school.
xo
N


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't block out the sounds of the kids moaning about the location of their notebooks, folders, sneakers, and Ipods. Somehow the fact that those things are missing is all my fault.


My mom says the same exact thing. Great post :)

Micol Ostow said...

Provided I meet my deadlines I'm totes there. What are the three series? Katie, Middle School, and _____ ? I am behind in my Nancy K trivia.

Nancy K said...

Hey Micol,

There's a new first grade series launching in '09 with Scholastic, and I'm in negotiations now for a fourth series with Penguin. Oy!
Gotta pay that tuition sometime.
How're the wedding plans coming?