Friday, March 13, 2009

Work Life and Cupcakes

Hey everyone,
Erin Downing here. I just got back from an amazing trip to New York, which ended with a trip to the glorious Magnolia Bakery for cupcakes. Because I am hungry, I will torture you all - my cupcake(s) looked like this:


I was in New York for my "other" job at Nickelodeon, but I found time to squeeze in a delicious dinner with my editor and a surprisingly warm stroll around Tribeca and Soho on Wednesday night. It's nights like this that make me miss New York very much. I miss the smells and the energy and the walkability and the weirdos.

But! I have finally finished my attic office space in my Minneapolis house, and, as promised, I am putting up two pictures of the place where I will write all of my novels from here on out (except when I need an excuse for sugar, and I go to a coffee shop or bakery to eat-while-writing...that happens a lot). My attic is sunny and bright and has a lovely view over my neighbor's slumping roof. I like to call it a "Paris-esque Rooftop View". That's stretching things a bit. The guy in the sweatshirt on the left is my husband, Greg - he has crashed "my" office and likes to call it "ours". I guess he can stay.



My editor is reviewing the first chapters for a new book I'm working on now - this would be my first project born out of the new attic. Fingers crossed!

Later,
Erin.

4 comments:

Jennifer Echols said...

Erin, congratulations on the beautiful office! Love the invigorating green. And curse you for the cupcake picture. Now I am hungry... It is Cadbury Creme Egg season, you know.

Debbie Rigaud said...

Oooh! As an HGTV addict, I live for the "big reveal." Great space. Candace Olsen would approve. :-)

Erin Downing said...

I really should post the before pictures - you never would have guessed this open, airy space was hidden in there. There were three little built-in wooden beds and exposed shingles from the roof overhead. Super creepy.

Anonymous said...

It's amazingly cute, very charming and open. I've always wanted a room like there where I can read, but with my luck I'll be a very busy mommy with toys thrown about in the lovely room I've created in my head!