Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bad Work Habits

All of us have sloppy/bad/lazy work habits, though writers are, on the whole, rather notorious for them. I have friends who write in their bathrobes and clean their desks once a year...maybe. Others I know write for days without showering when they're on a tight deadline. Grocery shopping and housecleaning often go by the wayside when time is tight. Me, I've spilled soy sauce into my keyboard while trying to eat sushi and type at the same time (and learned my lesson, as I had to remove every key from the keyboard to clean up that particular mess!)

But the guys in this office in San Jose, CA, win the prize. I don't know a single writer whose work habits have required the services of a hazmat team, nor do I know anyone whose inattention to cleaning resulted in seven people being sent to the hospital. I don't know about you, but if I go to all the effort of carting food somewhere--like, say, an office--I don't let it go to waste. This story makes me wonder just how much food--and what kind--these workers left!

What are your worst work habits? Do they get worse when you're on deadline or have a project due? (And have you ever required the services of a hazmat team?!)

I was on the road last week, and had a fantastic time with Florida Library Association at their annual conference, where I talked to librarians about creating fun programs for teens. You can bet that when I arrived home, I cleaned the fridge!

3 comments:

Cuteandcuddly said...

YUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy Toliver said...

maybe I shouldn't have read that while eating my lunch.

Nicole Burnham said...

Wendy, were you eating at your COMPUTER?! Tsk, tsk!