Wednesday, December 09, 2009

How Many Days Until Christmas?

I know not everyone celebrates Christmas, but I suspect most people enjoy certain aspects of the festivities, if only as a distraction from the waning daylight and snow (we're due to get 6-10 inches today). Except the Australians, who are in full summer. [Let me pause a moment to get over my intense jealousy.]

My family does the whole thing -- tree, gifts, big meal, big gathering. I even write cards (which still need to be done, tick tock tick tock). The only thing we don't do are outside lights. However, that does not stop us from enjoying other people's outside lights.

But my real favorite thing is my advent calendar. My everyday habit is to cross off the day on my monthly calendar as it happens (or a whole week's worth when I unbury my calendar from a pile of work after a crunch time). My advent calendar is like crossing off the days on crack ...without being illegal.

I gave up on the chocolate calendars, because they only last one year (and the chocolate is not so good). Three years ago, at Sams, I found the perfect permanent advent calendar. It's wooden, and the base holds Holiday cards. Each numbered square is a door, and inside is a cute little ornament. A trumpet, a star, an angel, and so on. For 25 days.

After that, just six more days until 2010. And the days will be getting longer instead of shorter.

Enjoy the festivities in whatever way suits you. Because anything that gets you through the shortening days is good (unless you live in Australia...in which case, please don't talk to me for at least 15 more days).

Kelly

3 comments:

Debbie Rigaud said...

Cute Advent calendar! I'm with you, Kelly. I hear the ticking of that holiday season clock, and I'm struggling to keep up. And I won't mention Australia if you don't mention anything about us entering a new DECADE!! Wowzers.

Wendy Toliver said...

Love it! My 1st grade son has a "December Kindness Calendar" where each day he has to do a certain polite or helpful thing. Not quite as great as chocolate, but close. :)

Kelly McClymer said...

2010...Debbie, how could you mention that?!?

Wendy, I love that idea. I wish I'd thought of it when my kids were little. Now I'll have to wait for grandkids to implement it.

Kelly