Monday, April 21, 2008

Earth Day Everyday, Everywhere

Mom and me in our Akumal backyard.


Hola! I just got home from a lovely week in Akumal, Mexico. I got to brush up on my Spanish, soak up the sun (and quite a bit of rain one night), snorkel, go fishing (sailfish, mahi mahi and barracudas--oh my!), chase iguanas and geckos, explore Mayan ruins in Tulum, search for shells and critters on the beaches, and visit one of the many eco-friendly parks called Xel-Ha (pronounced Shell-ha). I was impressed by many things on this trip, from the scenery and weather to the tasty foods and friendly people, but one I'd like to highlight is the ecological awareness of the people there. They go out of their way to preserve the Earth, including an abundance of recycling opportunities and the mandatory use of biodegradable sunblock when snorkeling or visiting eco-friendly parks. At Xel-Ha, they exchange your Coppertone for a tube of Coral "Natural Friendly" face and body cream. I love knowing that I'm doing my part to keep the ocean healthy and thriving, even if it's just by switching sunblocks.
With Earth Day being celebrated this week (April 22), I'd love to hear about what you're doing to preserve our planet.

No comments: