Sunday, February 08, 2009

I Apologize

Okay, I know, I haven't blogged in a VERY long time.  But I have excuses. Lots of them.  (Hey I'm a writer, creating things is what I do, right?)  And most of them are even true.  For starters, I'm working on four series now and that's a book a month.  Sure, some of them are short (Appleville Elementary is a series for kindergarten and first graders) but I've discovered that it's a lot harder to write a short book with limited vocabulary than to write a novel.  I've also discovered that you have to spend a lot of time creating series bibles if you want to be able to keep all their characters and universes straight).

Also, we have been in college application hell around here.  As many of you know, my daughter Amanda is an actress/model.  In the past few years she's shot a few unaired pilots, (although one is with a big studio right now!) but has discovered that her real passion is writing.  So come the fall she will be going to Pratt Institute in the fall for Creative Writing.  (Yes, private college, hence the four series!)  You would think a child who has spent her entire life hearing her mother say, "As soon as I get paid/get my royalty check, we can go get you the new sneakers (or prom dress, or fall jacket or . . .well you get the picture) would want to go into something more safe (say studying to be a bungee jumping instructor or an alligator wrangler ), but that is not the case.  And the truth be told, she's a better writer than I was at that age.  And she's already had two poems published.  She also plans on writing a one woman show so she can combine her two great passions.  Boy, teens are really ambitious these days.

Anyway, now we've officially got two writers in the family (Ian is only 14 so his ambitions largely center around making starting pitcher on the school baseball team (he made varsity in his freshman year, which I'm told is really great, although I know nothing about sports!),  getting really good tickets to the Metallica concert, and being popular with girls!) And while I'd love to spend hours and hours bragging to all of you about my kids, this writer has to get back to work (on a Sunday, which should tell you just how crunched I am for time).

I promise to post more often.   Really.

xoxo
Nancy

4 comments:

Micol Ostow said...

Mandy's applying to writing programs--wow! So exciting--if only it didn't make me feel so old!

Nancy K said...

Hey there Micol,

Applied, and accepted. She wants to write a one-woman show, a picture book, and song lyrics. She'll wind up with a BFA, and I'll wind up in bankruptcy.

And my dear, you can't be old. Because is you are, then I'm. . .

I don't even want to think about it.

Congrats on Bradford.

Ms. Yingling said...

I'm just impressed. Look at all you've written AND you are dealing with teens. Good luck with your daughter-- I'm trying to coerce my 15 year old into the medical field. Now stop reading and go WRITE!! My students need more of the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies. I've had to break down and put them all in the same place, covers forward!

Nancy K said...

Thanks for the kind words. The medical field, wow! No doctors in this house unfortunately, just a gaggle of artsy types.

I promise to get back to writing immediately!