Saturday, January 16, 2010

What I'll Be Writing in 2010

So, in 2010 I'm going to be veering away from the sunny world of romantic comedies and into the netherworld of teen thrillers. I just yesterday returned from New York, where I had a meeting with my new editors to discuss the plot of the book, which I'll write under a pen name. I'm so excited about this new manuscript (aside from the strong feeling of nausea which always comes with staring 55,000 words in the eye), because I was practically weaned on Stephen King and Dean Koontz and their ilk. Dead girls, psycho doctors, people who aren't what they seem - give it to me. I love love this new material, but at the same time. . .it's scary as heck starting a new book. Don't let anyone tell you writing is all roses. It's actually agony and usually, I hate every minute of writing the rough draft. I drag myself through the process like I need a harness and a plow behind me. But at the end. . .that is the sweetest sensation to type that last sentence and look at back at the 250 pages you just pulled out word by word. That gorgeous light feeling lasts usually about two weeks-- that's when you get the revisions back from your editor, and the agony starts all over again.

1 comment:

Wendy Toliver said...

sounds exciting!