Sunday, July 20, 2008

Charities

This weekend I was involved in helping out two different charities, one that buys wheelchairs for people in third world countries, and one for cancer research. This got me thinking about all the different kinds of charities that are out there, and how we, as generous donators or organizers, select which one(s) to support. I'm inclined towards the arts, I have a soft spot for animals and children, and I am probably with the majorty of people who agree that helping poverty- and illness-sticken folks is a biggie. There are countless organizations that help out in these areas, and it seems like I'm always discovering new and interesting ones. Of course, no matter how much I'd like to, I can't donate to all of them.

So, I'm curious. How do you decide which charities to support?

1 comment:

P.J. Ruditis said...

Like you, I tend towards charities that fit my personality or my personal experiences.

Being a voracious reader, the one thing I ALWAYS do is donate books to the library when my shelves start to overflow ... which is often. Not only is it an easy way support the libraries, but it's also helpful for making a dent in my house cleaning.