Wednesday, December 12, 2007

News Oddities

Maybe it's a writer thing. Maybe it's just that I'm odd. But one of my little joys in life is reading offbeat news items. I always check the "Funny News" section on CNN.com, and the "Strange News" section of the CBS site, for instance. Where else can you learn about Tweety, Mickey, Donald, and Daisy being compelled to testify at a trial in France? Or check out the guy who made it into the Guinness Book of World Records for getting hit by a car?



Some of my faves, though, are about stupid lawbreakers. Like the guy who stole an airplane to impress his girlfriend. Or the couple in Fort Collins, Colorado (where I went to college, at Colorado State), who are threatening to sue the police for killing their pot plants. Poor, poor people. (Snarf.)

What about you? What stories get your attention? What's the most amusing/offbeat/bizarre story you've heard lately?

1 comment:

Jennifer Echols said...

I used to be in charge of the weird news, so to speak. I was the features editor for a small-town newspaper, and every week (mostly around harvest time) somebody would bring in their pumpkin that looked like Marilyn Monroe or Richard Nixon. I would have run every one of them in the newspaper, but my managing editor put his foot down.