Friday, May 18, 2007

Aggressive Acts of Kindness

I am the fortunate recipient of an aggressive act of kindness.

There’s a beautiful woman who lives by me. Her name is Drienie and she’s from South Africa. She’s a columnist and writes lovely articles and feel-good stories. Like me, she is a very busy lady. Yesterday, she called me and said, “I’ll be there in fifteen minutes to watch your boys so you can write.”

You see, my life has been such that I haven’t been able to sit down and write for ages. Writers will know how frustrating this can be, especially when you’re really excited about a certain project (or multiple projects) but have to walk around pretending to be normal when in reality your head is about to burst with all the creative ideas stuck inside.

Drienie came to my house, arms full of groceries and treats, and shooed me into my office. She meant business! My boys were so excited to see her, and they made Krispy treats and paper airplanes and played ping pong and laughed themselves silly.

I got so much done. It was amazing. My faith in myself as an author was rejuvenated in just one afternoon. And what’s more, she’s coming again next week. My boys are ecstatic, and I can’t tell you how much it means to me that someone would do this for me.

We’re all busy. We all have too much to do. We all have good intentions.

Don’t wait to be asked. Don’t wait for the perfect time. Just do it. Be aggressive!

Has someone done something over and beyond for you lately? Or have you done something special for a friend? I’d love to hear about it!

No comments: