Sunday, January 03, 2010

What will I be writing in 2010?

I remember a few years ago, sometime right after Prom Crashers came out, a reader asked me what I would be writing next. I laughed. Ha! I thought. I don't have time to write! (I was secretly pregnant with twins at that very moment, and had a one-year-old in tow). I seriously thought I was done writing, that I couldn't possibly squeeze it into my life. As much as I love writing, I was certain I wouldn't be able to do it with three kids under two, a full-time job, and a husband who likes to see me from time to time.

Well, I was really wrong! I have published two more books since then (Drive Me Crazy and Juicy Gossip - a Scholastic book for younger readers) and just finished looking at the last pass of my 2010 novel, Kiss It. Kiss It is a coming-of-age romp that is very different from my romantic comedies that will be out in June 2010. It's still funny, but it's much edgier and things go beyond a sweet first kiss. That's all I'm saying!

So what am I doing now? I'm already halfway done with my next book! I am working on a project that I'm calling "romantic comedy with a paranormal twist" (no, not vampires or werewolves or angels...I swear!). It's a major departure from my Romantic Comedies, but holds tight to humor--something that's really important to me. My life is way to insane to write dark, depressing stuff. I've tried, and it comes off as sappy and lame. Every time.

In terms of juggling it all and answering that question - What will I be writing in 2010? - well... the kids have all been born and life hasn't gotten any easier, but what I'm finding is that writing is this amazing ME time that I can always find time for. So once this book is done and deep in revisions, I'll be on to something new. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, eh?

Later,
E.

8 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

As long as you don't have any more children (!), it does get a little easier every day. My children are 16, 14, and 11, and I haven't dressed, bathed, fed or carried anyone anywhere in a very long time. There are other issues, of course, but I thank them every day for not being two. Not joking. You are doing an amazing job. I'm in awe.

Jennifer Echols said...

I can't wait for the debut of KISS IT because it is mega-awesome, and I feel so privileged and kind of superior to everyone else because I have already read it, BWA-HA-HA!

WHITNEY LYLES said...

Isn't amazing how much you do end up writing with kids? I think I'm better about meeting my deadlines than before I had children. I have to utilize my time when I have it-- there are no excuses!

Erin Downing said...

Ms. Yingling: You are so sweet! You're right - it's getting easier, and I'm more willing now to take some time away from them to do my own thing! (Oh, and, NO MORE KIDS!!)

Jenn: Did I ever send you the real ending? I worry you read the unsatisfying and incomplete finish...let me know!

Whitney: I've seen your family pictures on the blog, and think we're in a similar boat. In the get-it-done-efficiently-so-you-can-cuddle-later mentality, right?

Micol Ostow said...

Kiss it sounds great! And you know I love a good departure!

Debbie Rigaud said...

Thanks for sharing, Erin. A sweetly inspiring post! -)

Wendy Toliver said...

Wow, I stand in amazement. :O

Kelly McClymer said...

Oh my gosh. Three under three? The nice thing about all that lack of sleep (as I vaguely recall from having just two under three) is your subconscious will go to the most amazing places, because your conscious is out of it most of the time.

Hug those babies, they grow up so fast (my are 30, 23, and...almost...21!)

Kelly